FREQUENTLY ASKED GUTTER QUESTIONS
We understand that there's a lot of confusion and misinformation about gutter and eavestrough systems out there, but we are here to help! Below you'll find answers to some of the most common questions customers you may have.
General Gutter FAQ
- WHY ARE GUTTERS SO IMPORTANT?
- It's essential for your home to have proper drainage, especially with the amount of rainfall we get here in the Lower Mainland!
- HOW LONG DO GUTTERS USUALLY LAST?
- If properly installed and maintained, the lifespan of a gutter systems can be 10 years or more.
- HOW DO I KNOW IF I NEED NEW GUTTERS?
- There's several signs that could indicate that you need new gutters:
- Overflowing & leaking
- Pooling/standing water
- Hanging or sagging
- Aesthetically unpleasing and it's time for a new look!
SHOPPING FOR GUTTERS FAQ
- ARE GUTTERS EXPENSIVE?
- Gutters cost less than you would think! The average home ranges between $1000-2000 (depending on footage), a good investment when one considers the damage inadequate drainage can incur.
- ARE GUTTER SYSTEMS ALL THE SAME?
- Nope! Basic fundamentals are the same, but some materials and systems are much better suited to meet the demands of our climate.
- WHAT IS LEAF GUARD?
- Leaf guard is an optional feature but is also a brand name, which can be confusing! MaplEaves uses a snap-in system that is a very efficient and economical option if you do not find doing regular gutter maintenance very appealing.
- HOW LONG DO INSTALLATIONS TAKE? DO I NEED TO BE HOME FOR IT?
- The average home can usually be completed in only a day! As long as the install crew has access to power, there's no need to have to take a day off work... unless of course you'd like to!
Gutter Care FAQ
- WHAT HAPPENS IF GUTTERS ARE NEGLECTED?
- When gutters are neglected, not only will it shorten their lifespan but it can actually cause damage to your home. Pooling water during the summer month can also be attractive to mosquitos!
- HOW DO I MAINTAIN MY GUTTERS?
- Gutter maintenance is pretty simple!
- Clean out debris regularly - scheduling this every spring and fall is a good practice!
- Trim back any overhanging trees
- Always repair leaks asap... the longer they leak, the harder it usually is to fix!
- WHAT DO I DO IF I HAVE BLOCKED DRAINS?
- Unblock them and clear out any standing debris. Although that sounds easy, there's many hazards (power lines, heights etc) that come with it, so it's usually best to consider leaving it to a professional.
- CAN I DO MY OWN REPAIRS?
- Sure, most of the time. Just keep in mind there still could be hazards and risk involved with a DIY (Do It Yourself). Again, it's a good idea to contact a professional... we're just a phone call away: 604.484.9487
- WHAT IF I HAVE ROTTEN FASCIA?
- Not a problem! Rotten and "punky" fascia is quite common on the west coast when dealing with leaking and faulty gutters. In most cases it can be removed and replaced without too much difficulty.
- WHAT OPTIONS DO I HAVE FOR GUTTERS?
- We have three gutter profile styles to choose from, each in a variety of colors. Visit our Products page for details!
- WHAT IS IN STYLE RIGHT NOW?
- Yes, even with gutters certain "looks" go in and out of fashion! It largely depends on the style of your home, but bold contemporary profiles like 2-Step Fascia gutter in dark colors are a popular choice with homeowners that want to make a statement!
- CAN FASCIAS BE PAINTED?
- Yes! MaplEaves can take care of any painting for you. We can also do fascia covers to compliment your new gutter system.
- WHAT IS YOUR SERVICE AREA?
- MaplEaves Contracting services all of Greater Vancouver and the Fraser Valley... everywhere from Squamish to Hope!
- WHAT IS YOUR WARRANTY? AM I INSURED?
- Yes we are fully insured. We offer a 5 year guarantee on all gutter products and installations. We have all the tools to equipment to install your system correctly and safely.
- WHAT ABOUT BIG PROJECTS LIKE RESIDENTIAL COMPLEXES, BARNS OR COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS?
- Yes, no problem! At MaplEaves we are equipped to handle projects of any size no matter how demanding. Give us a call today for your free estimate.
want to find out more?
Do you have a question that isn't included in our FAQ knowledge base? Have a suggestion for this page? Or need a MaplEaves professional to diagnose a problem or assess the condition of your gutters? Don't hesitate to call us at 1.778.320.7180 or send us an email. Our Facebook, Twitter and News pages are also a source of great information for the new or experienced home owner.